Sunday, December 7, 2008

Excuse me, I arted.

Here's something I drew for a project I'm working on at the moment. It's supposed to be a whimsical video game follow up to The Fall of the House of Usher. Hopefully there'll be lots more concept art for this posted in the coming months.


Thumbnail sketch.


Inks.



Flat colors.


Some shadows.


Highlights.

And the finished product. I think it turned out okay, though the colors aren't as punchy or vibrant as I'd have liked. I think it starts to happen in the tree on the left, but never really takes off. I like my clouds and grass though.

11 comments:

Evan said...

your landscapes are always fantastic! I wish i could do environments like you/at all.

Dominic Philibert said...

Nice step by step!!!!
Great work!!

Peter Coker said...

Remarkable understanding and use of colour scheme, light 'n line. Solid..

Shobo said...

Thanks very much everyone!

Worker Bee said...

Love it!!!!!

Shobo said...

Thanks mum :)

I'm working on another one that should be done by this weekend.

Worker Bee said...

Will be waiting in anticipation!

Shof Coker said...

Good job bro. I do have one suggestion which I just noticed. I don't think the green of the grass would retain that much of its vibrancy under the night sky... so maybe a more muted green with some blue mixed in it?

Lighthouse Pilot said...

NICE. I love the moments where you can see a hint of red in the tree trunk and in the bottom of the clouds. I agree with Shof about the green grass, though. I also have two other suggestions. I'm sorry. I'm in critique mode and I can't shut it off. I'd like to see the line art on the clouds change from black to a color. We also wouldn't be able to see the shadow of the house on the hill that passes in front of the plane that the house is on...if that makes sense?

michelle said...

I second Shane's remarks, I am always a fan of non-black outlines. I enjoy your swirlies and the house.

Shobo said...

Dear Shane and Michelle,

I am enraged that you agree with Shof, my younger brother, who is always right. I'll be experimenting with line color variation in my next piece.

Also, good to see you folks.