Friday, May 18, 2007

Ugh.. Packing.

It's even worse than usual this time, mainly because I'm not entirely certain whether I'll be coming back or not. What knick-knacks, do-dads and comfy memories can I afford to leave behind? I keep lifting the bag and wondering whether I've hit the 50 pound limit yet (I don't have any scales).

It's going pretty slowly actually, oddly enough it's the little things I find myself most drawn to and unwilling to part with. My Alex Ross designed Superman statue, my Conan statue (my toys in general), various books I've picked up and been given by friends, and hard-to-find DVD's ( hard to find back home anyway) that are basically comfort for the soul, The Witches, The Lost Boys, The Goonies, my A-Team collection.

It's strange because I feel compelled to go on a mad buying spree just to pick up the geek bare necessities that might be hard to find back home, but I know that's a waste of money.

I'm not looking forward to when it finally hits me that I'll be leaving the best group of friends I've ever had.

Anyway, not much to show in the way of art, but hopefully my next update will show the first image of a character I've been working on lately, Jupiter Jonah, Spacefaring African. Still a lot of design work left to go, but that's the fun part.

15 comments:

Lighthouse Pilot said...

What would it take for you to be able to come back...and when would you know whether or not you could?

Shobo said...

It's just hard to get into the United States, especially as a Nigerian, you have a better chance if you're coming to study but it isn't easy in general. I'm going to use the time at home to try and apply for the grad program at MCA. Grad school is something I've never really felt was necessary, but since I've started drawing again I've felt a strong desire to head in that direction. I'll be working hard on building a portfolio and also saving up money.

Shane, do you want to get some lunch or dinner at Huey's on Friday, Saturday or Sunday? I'll be packing and moving stuff this weekend, but if you let me know when you're free, I'd love to get together.

Lighthouse Pilot said...

What day is better for you?

Shobo said...

Well, lunch on Saturday would really be best, but I can be flexible :)

Lighthouse Pilot said...

lunch on Saturday it is!

Shobo said...

Yay! So uh... what time do you eat lunch? 12, 1, or 2? Or later?

Lighthouse Pilot said...

Whenever. My schedule hasn't really been anything remotely resembling a schedule lately. I've been staying up until 4 working on things and sleeping until noon. Maybe 1 is a good time.

Shobo said...

1pm at Huey's it is then!

Ashley said...

It's 1:30 and Shane's at Huey's. He'll be there til 1:45, but he wanted me to post his number if your still at home. 652.7294

Evan said...

Chris,

i don't know what to say... i don't know if i should crack a joke or say something deep (which i'm not exactly known for). well, i guess i could say this...

1. i wish we could have hung out some more and been a little closer friends. you were one of the coolest guys i met while in Memphis.

2. thanks for being one of my first friends in college.

that's all

Shobo said...

Ashley,

Thanks for tip, I woke up late and raced to Huey's and just managed to catch Shane in the nick of time. We had a great time chatting and drinking, after which I invited him back to my place... however my overly-talkative neighbor barged in on us and ruined my dastardly plan.

P.S. Please give Taylor my best!

Evan,

Thanks for the kind words, I wish we could have been closer as well, but I think in the end we had a good run between bouts of competitive gaming and sleepless nights in the illustration lab. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if our paths crossed at some point in the future. *hint* turn around.

Evan said...

don't do the "hint, turn around thing!". it's dark now and i suddenly felt all creepy.

yes, let's hope our paths can cross once again. Rie really wants to visit Africa, so maybe that's when it'll happen.

michelle said...

: (
I sincerly hope you do get to come back in the near future. You are definitely up there on my list of "incredibly awesome people I met during college".
I'm glad I got to know you while you were here.

Lighthouse Pilot said...

Be forewarned...I'm going to hug you, man. There's no escaping.

I had fun at lunch the other day. I wish we had more time for catching up...but hopefully, this is just a trip back home for you and before you know it you'll be back in Memphis.

I'm postive you'll get back and that all of our paths will cross again and continue to cross.

Did you get a hug Evan? I can't remember. If you didn't...you're getting one next time I see you.

Hugs for everybody.

(I just got put on the creepy list)

The pixter pod said...

Oh Shobo!! I miss you so much!! *hugs*