Thursday, February 28, 2008

Poke, prod, scrape... do you feel any pain yet?

Paid a visit to the dentist and the optician yesterday, had a little hole filled in a tooth and a new prescription for me glasses. Oh yeah, and about 12 hours of double vision! Still, it wasn't half as bad as I suppose it could have been really.

Also here are a few random pics of Lagos!

The road back home from Victoria Island. That's a Lagos State taxi closest to the camera, which is brand spankin' new by the by.

Still on the Island here, the fellow closest to us is hawking (squints)... I'm not sure what he's selling really.

We're on the mainland now, you can tell cus it's dirty(-er).

Lagos traffic, also known as "go-slow".

The motorcyclists are known as "Okada's", quick, cheap transportation, but they're the bane of Lagosian motorists.

More of 'em. Okada's I mean.

This is Oshodi Market, you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Unless you go to Tejuosho Market... or The Computer Village... or... never mind.

That white sign in the bottom left corner says
You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. John 8:32. Repent today pls.
So now you know.

Shoes. And lots of them.

And now for some HOME PICS! That's Shadow, one of our seven cats, we hand raised and fed her... she didn't quite turn out right. I keeed! She's just got a bizarre expression on her face in this picture.

This is Furbee, the laziest of our kitty cats, the following sequence of images is typical of his behaviour.

Arf!

Anyway, I guess that's all for now. My departure date for the PI has been pushed back by a week to give me time to get some stuff in order, so I'll be leaving on the 13th now instead of the 6th.

3 comments:

Shof Coker said...

Lagos is just so great in a quirky, often depressingly funny sense. I really like that repent sign. Oh and furby is too funny (hehe). You should take a bunch more pictures like this if you can. Oh and here is something you might find interesting (forget the song and play the video):

http://www.vibe.com/news/news_headlines/2008/02/talib_kweli_hostile_gospel_pt.1/

Shobo said...

Yup, Lagos has an aura all it's own. I wish I could have taken a few more pics deeper inside the market itself (daddy and I went to get a new adapter for the router) but to be honest I was a little worried the folks wouldn't take to kindly to me taking random pics of 'em.

Ashley said...

Wow, the market sounds kinda scary. Oh, but the kittens make up for it. :)