Monday, October 22, 2007

When Bad Bloggers Bite Back!

I've been busy. Busy with work and busy workin' on my super top secret, super project... which some of you might already know about. It's a pretty big project with a roadmap that stretches over a year into the future, but it has the potential to make dreams come true... or make me very poor.

I almost don't want to talk about it because I don't want to jinx it, but mostly because if (when) it ends up failing spectacularly y'all are gonna know about it.

But what the heck, I'll tell. I'm going to start a mainstream comic book publishing outfit here in Nigeria! Yes, it'll cost a lot of money, but what most of you don't know is that I'm actually a prince, and heir to the Wakandan fortune. Yes, it's going to be hard work, but I'm not entirely naive to the challenges, and I'm eagerly doing as much research as I can. Bottom line is that I'm excited about it.

I'm going the "Image Comics" route of publishing creator owned comics, starting of course with one of mine (my creative partner on the book will be a fellow named Bolaji, he'll be doing pencils). I'll be handling colors, lettering, layout and design, editing and the story. The first book is called "Orishas" and it's a sweeping, epic, period piece set just a hundred years after the creation of the world.

The art below isn't from the book, BJ's still working on designs for that. I'm done with writing issue one and am currently getting used to using a tablet to paint, and learning (slowly the art of lettering... and it really is an art). We're going for something of a compromise between the digitally colored look of most comics and something hand painted. Dark Horse's "Conan" run has been very influential, as has Siku's work on Judge Dredd: Fetish.

Anyway, that's all for now, will post again soon, and more frequently even!

P.S. The publishing company will be called "Atomic Lore".

9 comments:

The pixter pod said...

Hahahaha! I can see this will have some very sophisticated dialog. the painting looks very nice Shooboo! Can you work on using lighter tones? I dunno, like layers or veils of color? There seems to be a lot of very true, bold dark colors. Maybe I'm looking for some more subtlety.
But regarding you being a prince...YAY FOR ME! That'll win me popularity and maybe some money on my birthday?
Seriously I'm very excited about this project, I think it can go very far. Do you have a PR person lined up? Sean can provide personal security... Can't waaaaait to see more!

John Howard said...

You know you really had me going there for a minute? You, a COMIC book publisher! Thats the silliest thing I ever heard!

Congrats on being a prince though, that's great news!

I have some articles I'll send you on independent publish... uh, being a prince :/

Shobo said...

Why thank you guys! Both for the links you sent John, and the advice on using some lighter tones, that was actually the first thing my dad suggested to add some depth to it. I'm working on another practice page at the moment.

michelle said...

How courageous of you! Very exciting indeed. I envy your motivation, working towards a goal and all. I oughta get me one of them.

Best of luck to you, sir!

Shobo said...

Well gee, Michelle, that's mighty nice of you to say, of course I'm not the one who's got a BOOK ON SALE!!

Seriously though, I'm going to have to procure one of those for ah... a friend.

Shof Coker said...

Yeah I think Erica is spot on less bold and more light tone... plus maybe seeing more strokes overlaid on top of each other (like you can do in painter) instead of gradient blending. Maybe saving up for a better tablet might help.
Am I a Wakandan prince too?

Lighthouse Pilot said...

Exciting news! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and I'll send positive vibes your way too.

Afrobabe said...

Funny enough I proposed this idea to a friend and he said it wouldn't work...well actually I guess it was the fact that i wanted us to buy "Dauda the sexy guy" anyone remember him?

Good luck...will definately be routing for you...cant believe I found this blog today and have commented on almost if not all the posts.

Shobo said...

"Dauda the sexy guy"... I can't say that rings a bell!

Also, thanks for the support, I appreciate it. The comic book industry in Nigeria is non-existent at the moment but I think (hope) there's a market for it. I'll find out in about a year I expect :P