Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Magic of Moonlighting

Moonlighting is an amazing show. A fast talking, pre-Die Hard Bruce Willis, a gorgeous post-Last Picture Show Cybill Shepherd, both engaging in private eye hijinks backed by awesome 80's music and a fist full o' cheese.

I loved the show as a kid, but I haven't really been able to watch reruns since then as pretty much no one seems interested in syndicating it (surprising since Bruce Willis was the male lead and the show was a hit at the time).

Anyway, I recently managed to pick up all five seasons on Amazon for under $50, and am quickly making my way through seasons 1 and 2, loving every minute of it.

What I hadn't realised back then was just how tight the writing on the show was, sure the cases don't really matter, but they're always interesting, and are almost always great ways to put Maddie and David in unexpected situations.

Willis' comic timing in particular is excellent, and I truly wish more directors would cast him in comedic roles, the Fifth Element was a great showcase, but see the criminally forgotten and underrated Hudson Hawk if you don't believe the man has an eye for comedy.

Now, on to dinner.

5 comments:

Lighthouse Pilot said...

Hudson Hawk is in my top 5 favorite movies of all time and Fifth Element is in my top 10. I'm with you, man. I'm with you. I loved Moonlighting when I was a kid. I'll have to see if it's on Netflix!
On another note...do you remember Tales of the Gold Monkey?

Shobo said...

Sorry about the late reply Shane, I have been negligent of my blogging duties of late.

I'd never even heard about Tales of the Gold Monkey. Worth checking out?

I don't know if Moonlighting is on Netflix, but the DVD sets are super cheap on Amazon, and Bruce Willis is gracious enough to appear on the behind the scenes videos to talk about the show and even provide commentary!

One of these days we need to get together to hatch a fiendish plan that gets more people to watch Hudson Hawk.

Lighthouse Pilot said...

Dearest Shobo,

I waited and waited and I knew the day would come upon whence your apply would arrive!

Ehem...anyway, Yeah, Moonlighting was great! I don't remember much about it other than as a kid I loved Bruce Willis and there's an episode where he's framed for murder and it's all thundery and lightningy outside and he shows up rain-drenched on Maddy'd doorstep. I think they sleep together.

Tales of the Gold Monkey is like a cross between Indiana Jones and Disney's Talespin. I actually think Talespin might have been inspired BY Tales of the Gold Monkey. There's a similar seaplane called the Cutter Goose. I think it's totally worth checking out, but then again I haven't seen it in almost 3 decades. I just got the disk from netflix so I'll give you a report soon!

and I'm all for getting more people to watch Hudson Hawk!

Lighthouse Pilot said...

your Reply. Not your apply. sigh.

Lighthouse Pilot said...

Maddy's. Not Maddy'd. See, I was so excited to talk about Moonlighting and Tales of the Gold Monkey that my post is full of grammatical errors.