Sunday, January 18, 2009

Prologue level art is done!

And that's a wrap for the prologue level! Gameplay-wise it's very simple, it's just an introductory level aimed at getting the player used to movement and jumping. Still, it was an absolute blast to work on, learned lots of stuff to apply to the next level, which takes place inside that half submerged house on the end.

Shof, I swear I tried some yellow in moon, but then the background got too bright, which made focusing on the main character hard. Actually the hardest part of this whole thing was making the background look interesting but ensuring it doesn't distract you while you play.

I've included a few detail images:


TTFN!


12 comments:

Worker Bee said...

Cool!!!

Shobo said...

Thanks mama :)

Evan said...

So, when will this game be playable? I want I want. I'll give you $$$$!!!!

It looks like it could be that next big indie game I see on Steam. Lots and Lots of platforming action, i hope??

With a giant robot boss at the end whom is only defeat-able with your trusty Edgar A. Poe brand Laser Pistol, no doubt!!?

OOH!!

Shobo said...

A playable candidate is still a ways off, we don't have a timeline worked out but I we'd like to get it done in the next six months.

A steam release would be *awesome*, but as we're developing using the XNA Developers framework from Microsoft I'm sure there's a clause in the EULA that prohibits Steam distro.

However, if there isn't, we'd like to release on PC for free :)

Unknown said...

wow shooboo, these are absolutely
beeeee-a-u-tiful! I wish I had a story book for lucy that looked like this. I love the colors, they are so enchanting. *contented sigh*

Unknown said...

NAAAARGH!!!THAT WAS ME WHO SAID THAT! ME, ERICA! stupid signed-in-sean....

Shobo said...

No need to cover for Sean, we know he's a sensitive guy Erica.

A storybook for Lucy would be really cool. I'd give an arm to be able to do something like that... but then I'd have to draw with my feet.

Lighthouse Pilot said...

These are absolutely amazing, Shobo. How are you creating them? I recognize the paper-like texture, but as for the actual rendering...how?

Shobo said...

Wow, thanks for the high praise Shane!

The actual rendering without the texture filters laid over is surprisingly crude. I just drew using mostly a flat brush in Photoshop. I apologise if I gave the impression they were hand drawn or something!

Lighthouse Pilot said...

I don't care HOW they're done. They're fantastic...flat brush in photoshop or not.

Shobo said...

Well thanks Shane!

Robot Turkey Girl said...

Wow nice work bro! I really like the way these are drawn. There's something about the style that reminds me of the Samuri Jack drawings... only this is different.